Here is the 2nd recipe I have tried and tasted from the Hello Fresh Box! It is Pompea's Ponzese Calamari with Grilled Polenta: composed of fried calamari/squid, tomato sauce and green beans. I really enjoyed this dish. Very easy to make as well, except the squid cutting which was a bit challenging.
Ingredients: (for 2 people/ or for 2 meals)
- 1 Cup tomato sauce
- A handful of calamari rings (or a whole squid to cut. To cut the squid hold the end and cut thin slices, so it makes rings)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 Tsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped parsley
- 100g polenta
- 200ml milk
- 1 Tbsp grated hard Italian cheese
- 1 Tbsp corn flour
- A handful of green beans
Recipe Step-by-step :
I. The Polenta
1. Mix 200ml of milk and 200ml of water in a non-stick pan and bring to a simmer.
2. Very finely chop the parsley.
3. Peel and crush the garlic (but do not chop).
4. Add 1/2 tsp of salt to the simmering milk/water mixture and stir it continuously on medium/ low heat. (It is preferable to use a hand whisk)
5. Whilst you are stirring the mixture, add in the polenta in a slow continuous stream.
6. Add the cheese and continue to stir for 3 minutes until it begins to thicken.
7. Add a tsp of butter and continue to stir for another couple of minutes. (Be careful because the polenta has a habit to splutter in the pan)
8. Once the polenta is thick and nice, pour t into a small, shallow bowl (or a plate if you don't have one) and put it in the fridge to set.
II. Calamari Rings
9. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan on high heat.
10. Dab the calamari with kitchen towel so it is completely dry.
11. Toss the calamari rings in the cornflour, 1/4 tsp of salt and a few good grinds of black pepper.
12. When the oil is really hot, cook the calamari for 2-3 minutes then remove to a plate.
13. Once you've removed the calamari, add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan on medium-low heat.
14. Put in the crushed garlic clove and the chili flakes and cook for one minute.
15. Add in the tomato sauce and 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of sugar if you have some.
16. Bubble away for 5 mins until it thickens up.
III. The Beans
17. Boil a pan of water for your green beans and add 1/2 tsp of salt.
18. Once boiling, top and tail the beans (cut the ends of each bean)
19. Cook the beans for 3 minutes then drain and keep them to the side.
IV. Back to the Polenta
20. The polenta should be set by now, so you can remove it from the fridge and cut into blocks.
21. Heat 2 tsps of olive oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and fry the polenta for a minute or two on each side. (turn the pieces gently and try to do it only once so you don't break the polenta)
V. Last step - Finishing Touches to the Calamari
22. Stir 2/3 of the parsley and all of the calamari into the tomato sauce.
23. Stir for 1 minute and take off the heat.
24. Scatter over the remaining parsley, serve everything up.
Rating [Taste] = 9/10