Here is a list of websites that I use to get inspiration. Hope it is useful to you as it has been for me. All websites stated on this page are sites that I have used. If you have any other highlights or must-have tips of your own that you'll like to share, please leave a comment or use the contact form.
Reviews / Ideas / Research / Resources
- TripAdvisor - The reviews and forums are pretty useful.
- Korea Tourism Board - The suggestions and information is astounding; extremely useful. You should check out their Facebook as well.
- Visit Seoul – A much simpler site with introductions on Seoul and South Korea. Navigation is a breeze as it is separated into different categories like attractions, planning your trip, dining, accommodation (you can even reserve accommodations though the site).
- My Destination – A global travel resource powered by a community of local experts providing unrivaled local knowledge and deals
- Kojects – tries to help keep more people informed of the various construction and urban development projects around Seoul and the rest of South Korea, focusing on public transport and public infrastructure.
AirlinesThe average ticket to Seoul cost about S$900++ and above for direct flights. I am not much of a stop-over person, the faster you can get to your destination, the faster you can start your day. Of course, there is a price to pay for that convenience, but sometimes (if not most of the time) it is worth it.
- Asiana - Air fares tend to be slight cheaper than Korean Air starting at about S$900. However, the website is only optimized for Internet Explorer so that's not so great for users of other browsers.
- Korean Air - Good to check out and there might be offers as well.
- Singapore Airlines - If you have confirmed your flight dates and are pretty sure there will be no changes to those dates, buying the tickets a couple of months before can save you a lot especially if they have special on going promotions. Though the tickets tend to be on the pricier side, it is worth the money for those long international flights.
- Domestic Flights to Jeju from Incheon Airport - If you are planning to head to Jeju island from Seoul and wondering how to get there, then this is for you.
Sites for accommodation/flights and comparison
- HotelsCombined – Provides a good overview of all accommodation rates from booking sites like booking.com, expedia.com etc… Great resource for a quick comparison of the various rates across the web for hotels and picking out the cheapest one.
- Zuji - Gives a good overview view and estimate of air flight rates as well as accommodation. The results can be used to be compared with those from HotelsCombined in your decision making process.
- AirBnB - If you want accommodation a little more affordable or be able to blend in more with the locals, AirBnB is a good place to start. It was where I found Lina's Loft and had a pleasant stay during my time there!
When booking other properties on AirBnB, please conduct your own research before booking anything. If you are interested in joining AirBnB and want a discount off your first stay, please sign up here!
Blog References/Inspiriation - Seoul
- KampungBoyCityGal - A Malaysian couple blogging on latest food raves in town. Contains interesting itineraries.
- My Kafkaesque life - From the perspective of a 30 something guy who moved to Taiwan. Has some detailed information about attractions in Seoul.
- im-chacha - A Singaporean blogger who has cool itineraries of Seoul ^^
Travel Thoughts and Tips
- From Singapore to Seoul: Ways to Maximize Your Cash When You DIY (Flight)
- Travel Tips: EG (EverGreen) SIM Card and getting it at Changi Airport
- T-Money (Seoul City Pass Plus)
- Alternative Accomodation - Linda's Loft (AirBnB)
- Accomodation in Seoul - AirBnB
- Seoul Spring 2013 Trip Itinerary (7D/6N)
- Upcoming Trip: Seoul Spring 2013 (7D/6N)
- Basics of Booking Hotels Online